Sunday, May 15, 2011

Show Me the Monet!

Salut tout le monde!

Yesterday I finally a got a chance to go to Giverny, something I've been wanting to do since I arrived in Paris. Giverny was home to Claude Monet, the well-know impressionist painter, from 1883 until his death in 1926. There he grew elaborate gardens which became the subject of many of his works. Today, the Claude Monet Foundation has restored his house and gardens so that people like me can pretend we're standing his paintings.

Monet's House


The Water Lily Garden



  
Besides his house and a nice little museum dedicated to Impressionist exhibitions, Giverny remains a small, quaint village. The trains don't run directly to the village, so you must take a shuttle from the nearby city of Vernon. After spending the morning in Giverny, I decided to go back to Vernon a little early and see what it had to offer.



Philippe Auguste's Keep



Notre Dame de Vernon

After returning to Paris, I met up with a friend and we quickly grabbed some food in a cafe. Last night was the Night of Museums, an annual event in France when museums stay open until midnight, many of them offering special exhibitions or performances. We ambitiously conquered both the Musée du Quai Branly, which features art from various cultures around the world, and Centre Georges Pompidou, a modern and contemporary art museum. You can bet I fell asleep as soon as I got "home" yesterday.

À la prochaine fois!

No comments:

Post a Comment