Monday, February 7, 2011

Rockin' the Suburbs

Salut tout le monde!

Yesterday morning, everyone packed all their stuff up (or at least attempted to- isn't it amazing how much better you're able to fit stuff together the first time you pack?), then we all headed to the lobby to wait. I think someone said they felt like a puppy waiting to be adopted by a family! My host mother came fairly early, and I left most of the other students staring out the lobby windows, intently studying each car and person who passed the building.

This is my new home in Asnieres. We live in the left half of this building.

My host mother, Mme de Vilmorin, drove me through the center of Paris and showed me some of the sites (which was wonderful, because there's a lot of walking involved in order to see everything). Once we were home, I met Victoire and Pierre. I thought there were four boys in the family, but I misread Victoire as Victor, so it turns out there are three boys and one girl. Victoire is my age and goes to school in Versaille, where she studies architecture. Pierre is Ben's age and goes to their equivalent of high school in Paris. As far as I can tell, these are the two kids who will be around most often. Mme de Vilmorin works in real estate and M de Vilmorin does something with banking.


This is my room. The bed is bunked over the desk/closet space.

Mme de Vilmorin took me on a walk around Asnieres in the afternoon to show me the metro, train station, grocery store, etc. Everyone seems very nice and helpful. They are easy to understand in a one on one conversation, but at the dinner table when everyone is talking at once, whoa! M de Vilmorin, oddly enough, just read a book on the Cheasapeake Bay and was extremely excited to find out I'm from Chesapeake. I'm pretty sure he knows a lot more about Chesapeake than I do! 

Today, I've just hung out at home mostly. I'll be meeting some friends who live near me for dinner later and tomorrow I will have my first class (what? we have to actually go to school here?).

Their dog, Utopie (spelling?)
A demain!

No comments:

Post a Comment